Thursday, September 13, 2007

Begging - Starbucks Style, and Other Musings

Nearly every weekday, these days, I visit a Starbucks in downtown Sacramento, while waiting for the commuter bus that takes me back home to Stoctkon. I do this not because I'm particularly enthralled with the place, but in the summertime, especially, it's a wonderful 20-25 minute hangout because they have *the best* air conditioning in the city. I almost always order the same thing (so much so that the barristas often start making it the minute they see me walk in the door) - a decaf iced latte ("tall" the small one) - all of $2.65 plus a tip because of the aforementioned clairvoyant service. :) I consider it the rental fee for 20-25 minutes of air-conditioned bliss - particularly when it's 95-102 outside.

So there I am, today, at my favorite table (closest one to the A/C vent), and I wouldn't mention this, but it's actually the *second time* it's happened to me in less than a week. A person who's clearly had a rough life walks up to me, (today, forced to negotiate my "rain but near monsoon" hearing weather), and asks me if I COULD BUY THEM A COFFEE. I kid you not. Begging has reached new heights of optimism. No longer are folks just begging for "food", oh no, now it's a Starbucks coffee - the most expensive cup of Joe on the planet. No dumb bunnies here!

Now, I'll tell you the truth - even though I had to make this poor guy work for it, I dismissed him. It's not that I'm not compassionate, and that I don't care, and it's not that I just couldn't do it either (he did get a pretty lady to take care of it for him mere seconds later). It's just that, well, folks, c'mon, it's ***Starbucks***. It's yuppie heaven. Nobody who cares about saving a buck or two goes to ***Starbucks***, do they? Well, I guess I stand corrected (twice! it was an old lady the other day). Apparently, that's the latest thing to go begging for. ***Starbucks***. Sorry, it just throws me. I'm used to giving dollar bills to the guys that ask could I help them out with change at the bus stop. I'm not used to financing a beggar's high-end caffeine addiction (even though I know where my buck at the bus stop is likely going). Ok, off the stump, Paul. :)

In other news, last night I did something totally foolish and out of character for me - I signed up (and it ain't free, either) as a member of Singlesnet.com. What do they say about the luck of fools? It wasn't 10 minutes, and I hit the profile of 41 and "hard of hearing" (and incidentally, drop-dead gorgeous - but don't worry, that's only incidental). Several e-mail exchanges and an evening YM chat later, and I've got yet another new friend. Romance, who knows? I always make a point these days to let it be known that yes, I'm an incurable romantic, but that I'm much more circumspect with my distribution of same these days. Friends first, that's' my motto now. :) Worst thing that can happen is I end up with lots of friends. Horrible thought, ain't it? :)

I couldn't wrap up a post tonight without making a statement of sorrowful disgust at the plight (in recent news) of one Megan, a young woman who was brutalized beyond belief by a cadre of evil monsters, apparently as punishment for the "crime" of being born black. Talk about a wrecked life. I stand blessed and painfully aghast. Make no mistake people. If we, collectively, hold anything but outrage against this evil, it will surely consume us all. My prayers (and I don't pray easy, truth be told) are with Megan, her family and friends. Let her somehow find peace and strength beyond the painful madness she endured. It could have been any one of us, or our children. It will be, if we remain complacent.

If you don't yet know the story, it's easy enough to find on the net.

Yours in a mix of humility and and blessings, perspective appropriately adjusted...

-LifeWrecked

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, I've got to take back the "Worst thing that cam happen..." statement above.

Seems the worst thing that can happen is I get "scammed" (at least if I don't enforce clear and consistent boundaries - read later posts).

I stand (nearly painfully) correcteed by good ol' reality. :)

- LifeWrecked