Monday, September 3, 2007

Advantages of having a Wrecked Life

Believe it or not, there are several advantages to having your life wrecked (at least in the manner described in the prior post). Though some of them may sound cynical, they actually are real, and tangible, at least in the near term. [Please note that the enumeration below is simply for the reader's (sic) ease, and has no relationship to the enumeration in the prior post. Some are more generalized than others, but then, that's how it goes when you're a victim of my blog persona. Deal with it.]

1. That which doesn't kill me *really does* make me stronger - I know, it's a tired old saying that "Christians", especially, like to bandy about until it carries next to no meaning; life really does work that way. Mind you, the word "stronger" does not imply that 5 minutes from now you won't keel over dead from a myocardial infarction. It only means that in the 4:59 between now and then you'll get to enjoy a more solid sense of self respect and personal meaning, since having difficult or unlikely successes in compensation for your efforts is key to what most people would define as happiness. "BUT WAIT A MINUTE", I hear you thinking - how can a "Wrecked Life" have things in it like "success" or "happiness"? Read on, grasshopper.

2. Having your Vicodin/Crack/Alcohol/Rage-addicted wife decide that she can't stand YOUR sneakiness, miserism, and temperamental episodes; let's face it - that ain't *all* bad, when she finally follows through. The operative word here, folks, is *peace*. Waaaayyy more peace in the last few months than I've known in the last 10 years.

3. A lot of people get their houses knocked down by hurricanes, but for most of them, it only happens once (we're assuming survival here). Part of the reason has to do with #1 above, but there's more. Experiencing the worst stuff you could never in a million years imagine a)happening to you, b)doing, c)surviving means you aren't any longer operating on platitudes and un-tested theories about (hurricanes) life (whatever domain). I frequently tell people I don't regret for a minute *any* of the 10 years I spent in my (marriage) relationship. And I'm not kidding. Today I am oh, so much wiser, and I don't plan on building any more houses in the Florida Cayes - for *any* reason.

There's more, and I'm sure I'll think of them eventually. Blogs are fun.
-LifeWrecked

No comments: