Saturday, May 24, 2008

My Personal Cell Tower

Technology can wow us, sometimes - even those of us who've been hardened into cynicism by the constant barrage of glitz and hype.

I am currently "wowed" by an astonishing coincidence of techno-melding.

When I bought my 3G wireless router, my only intention for it was to break me free from the physical Ethernet cable on my laptop - I was thrilled that I could roam the whole house unhindered.

Enter now a difficult conundrum. My "ex" and I have been sharing a cell phone "family" plan - and stupid me, I'm the "payer" but not the "primary"! I'd finally had enough when she (apparently) lost her handset AGAIN (4x? 5x? I've lost count). I called up T-Mobile (our carrier) and told them I want out! Of course, since I'm not the account holder, they could do nothing for me. I'm not mad at them, but I'm not paying any more either. ;) So it's a new phone and number for Paul. Did it a couple days ago. T-Mobile I like, so I stuck with them...

I was happy when the gentleman offered me a free (with contract) Samsung t490. I like Samsung phones better than any Motorola (Nokia runs a close second). I had no idea I was about to have a really annoying issue with my cell service solved by happy circumstance.

T-Mobile, it seems, is now offering phones that include a "HotSpot @ Home" feature. This amazing phone will (after initial setup - I'm a security fanatic) automatically use my "Wi-Fi" router to connect through my broadband (DSL) to the T-Mobile network! In other words, my router just became a local cell tower!

I've been suffering for years with the fact that I live in a cellular "hole" (carrier doesn't matter). I'm sandwiched between concrete and chicken wire, and it's iffy at best to get a good cell signal here. So you can understand how happy I am - I've got as good or better connection (and it really works, folks!) as somebody standing right next to a cell tower would have. And the phone knows how to choose the best signal!

I post this for anyone suffering the "cellular blues" at home or at their business. I picked up my Linksys (Cisco) router for about $50 at Circuit City. My Samsung SGH-t490 was free from T-Mobile with a 2 year contract (easy for me, they're the best I've ever had, and I've had them all). It's a solution made in heaven, and it can work out in the big world too - all you need is a wireless network (open or not - of course, you'll have to set up "not").

Happy Digital Trails,
LifeWrecked (aka Paul S)

No comments: