Friday, May 30, 2008

Hearing Aid Diary - Day One - My First Experience

Hopefully, this diary will help others who are new to the HA (hearing aid) experience - and keep my friends and family updated on my progress as well. My blogging friends are welcome to link to it.

Today, at 2:30 p.m., after a nervous 1 transfer bus ride across town (Sacramento) from work (nervous you would understand if you frequented city buses - the schedules of which can be somewhat unpredictable), I was greeted by my now familiar audiologist, and introduced to my first ever pair of HAs - Siemens Centra S BTEs (behind the ear).

My Audi recommended binaural (two aids) because to both of our surprise, my "thought dead" right was actually adding significantly to my speech recognition (SR), and so it's worthwhile to equip both.

To cut to an obvious set of questions, these HAs have the following features:

Fully digital, multi-programmable (I have 3 programs).
T-coil
Multiple microphones (directional and omni)
Automatic situational adjustment (volume and directional feature)
Learning: Will adapt each program to user volume preferences over time
Remote control of program and volume ("ePocket")
Tiny and nearly invisible! Front view in mirror astounded me - never expected that for a BTE!
External input (e.g., FM)
"e2e" wireless technology - volume/program adjustments for L/R can track each other (you can also defeat it)

Yes, Virginia, they ain't cheap. ;)

My audi had them set up beforehand with 3 programs: 1 - Good Days - omnidirectional limited volume, 2 - Noisy Environments - highly directional, 3 - Bad Days - full volume range, omnidirectional.

She spent about an hour with me, teaching, testing and (slight) tweaking - didn't want to tweak too much on the first visit, as there's much adjusting this 49 year old brain needs to do first. She promised we'll tweak more next visit, once I find my performance pattern on different kinds of days.

For my nearly dead ear, we'll eventually settle on a "fixed" program, once we find out what works best. The "variable better" L will stay dynamic, to account for that variability.

Ok, now for the important part - my hearing experience. Based on my first day, I'm guardedly optimistic - I did notice an improvement, but of course, it wasn't the perfect hearing experience everyone hopes for (and probably nobody gets). My SR with the audi definitely improved once I got the program and volume settings right. Too much volume, and my right goes nuts with distortion (as expected from experience with ALDs), but I can trim it to an acceptable point where my SR is quite good (today wasn't a particularly bad hearing day though - we'll see when I have a really bad one).

I was quite happy, though, when walking home from my bus stop, with my program set to 2 (noise reduction, directional), and the volume in the middle; neighbors doing the "howdy do" came through with almost perfect SR - and one of them was 20 feet away! If you knew what my normal experience is, you'd be as amazed as I was.

There's always gotta be one glitch, and this one is partly my fault (haven't gotten to the doctor yet) - I've got an annoying recurring fungal infection in my right, that I have to get taken care of before I can continue wearing the R HA. Audi insisted I clean the earmold with a magic pad she gave me on removal, and don't put it back in until the doc blows his magic powder in my ear and knocks the fungus out.

Well at least now I'm motivated to demand a fast appointment. :)

That's Day One!

Paul S (AKA: LifeWrecked) - Out.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

So you'll hear me sing? LOL

You might think your hearing aids are broken when I do!!!

Cheers
Robyn

LifeWrecked said...

Hey Robyn,

We could call ourselves the Off-Key Ramblers and do a duet of The Balad of Gilligan's Isle.

Cheers Back :)

Paul S

Anonymous said...

Yo Paul, this is the beginning of your adventure. Just remember one thing, hearing people dont get it. You'll (unfortunately) hear stupid remarks now like: is your hearing aid on when u don't hear everything.
People don't understand that hearing aids don't give us perfect speech discrimination.
Be patient with the aids and just don't expect to have 20/20 hearing. you'll be fine buddy.....
now if i were u, i'd turn off those aids when robyn starts singing or the SWC people start doing their kareoke.....(blech)!
however, open your windows in the evening, put on the hearing aids and listen to the sounds of the nightime silence and in the moring, listen to the birds chirping. Oh by the way, turn them off when u flush the toilets...lol
pearl

Anonymous said...

Hi Paul!

Congratulations! Welcome to the world of Hearing Aids. I have been wearing hearing aids for 41 of my 45 years. Sounds like you got yourself a great audiologist. I love the fact that she didn't have a problem with control of the volume! Some audis like to push the fully automatic digital aids and let the aids "decide" what volume to use via the pre-programed volumes set by the audi for newbies. Your noise programs and the volume control are going to be your biggest tools, which I suspect you know already. You may surprise yourself and not want to settle for a "fixed" non-changing program for either ear as you get more experience with the aids.

Good luck on the "fungus among us" problem. (I am curious thou, won't OTC creams like Ting or Lotrimin work for you?) Powders haven't been that effective in my experience.

Take care, I wish you the best!

-Nancy Lee

LifeWrecked said...

Thanks Nancy Lee!

I haven't tried the "foot" remedies like Lotrimin in my ears. I do know it's typically a different species of fungus, which is why the makers don't recommend it.

I might just try one of them since I can't seem to find a pharmacy around where I live that carries Tri-Otic (the human kind :) drops - which are recommended for minor fungal infections. I think I'll skip Lotrimin though, as I used it once for atheletes foot and had a bad reaction to it (redness and more itching! eeek!)

Cheers,
Paul S

Kim said...

I'll never forget my first pair of hearing aids. I heard so many sounds I'd forgotten about. Human speech has never been as clear as I'd like. You'll have to fill us in on your second week---- after you've gotten used to the crinkle of paper and hearing yourself chew.

LifeWrecked said...

Thanks Kim! That's exactly what I'm dealing with now (the crinkle of paper, etc.) - the thing most hearing folks don't understand until you educate them - an HA is NOT like normal hearing, so it definitely takes some getting used to.

The most interesting thing I've discovered is that HIGH VOLUME isn't the key. The best way I understand people is by keeping the volume relatively low (minimize distortion), and listen closely to that "little tinny voice".

Paul S (aka: LifeWrecked)