Thursday, January 3, 2008

A Taxi in My Back Pocket

I decided yesterday to give the Jolly Yellow Giant (Yellow Cab) another try, and be doggedly persistent in telling them what's up and demanding service - this to get to my local CTAP office to get certified (Yes!!!) for a CapTel phone. The optimism was based on the fact that no standing appointment is needed at the CTAP office, so I wasn't time pressed (good thing, too - take a number). (CTAP is California Telephone Access Program).

As I expected, the first driver got lost seeking my tricky to find work location. I could see the cab wandering semi-aimlessly a distance from my waiting point, but they couldn't see me - people are smaller than cabs, and not bright yellow either. So deaf as I was, I called Yellow on my cell, and informed them that their driver was lost, and that I really need this ride, so don't let them give up!

Apparently, they sent a different cab driven by a lady who actually lives near the business park where I work (my starting point). She found me quickly, no problem (though some confusion with parking lot traffic so I had to chase her a little). Though I informed her I was HOH, she wanted to chat anyway, and worked patiently to do so - was interested in my hearing loss and related to the dizzies because she'd had an episode herself that went away on its own. Naturally, I gave her a good tip, and she gave me her receipt card with her cell number - something many drivers have done, but I've not had much success getting them to come on demand - particularly since using the phone is hard for me, and taxi drivers as a class are notorious for having accents from distant shores.

This morning, it occurred to me that I had never tried *texting* a taxi driver to arrange a pickup. It is, after all, a cell phone, and most these days are text enabled almost by default, whether the person cares to use it or not. Since I have an actual standing appointment for my CT scan tomorrow, (the same one the JYG caused me to reschedule from last week), I decided that the very worst thing I could get from trying was nothing, so I texted "Debra" (if I'm reading the scribble on her card right), to ask if she could accommodate my appointment, with appropriate details included.

To my happy surprise, she responded with one word - Yes. Two exchanges later (both "Yes" - Debra either doesn't text a lot, or is being reasonably prudent while driving ), and it's a done deal! Of course, I'll have to see the follow-through tomorrow (I'll be sending a reminder), and I know this won't work for me every time, as taxi drivers have lives and schedules too, but to the extent it does work, it's pretty neat to have a taxi in your back pocket!

- LifeWrecked

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great - pleased you have a taxi in your back pocket finally. I hope that your pants don't get too Heavy LOL!

Cheers
Robyn