Friday, December 21, 2007

Deaf and Dizzy meets Dumb - Life Frustrations Amplified

Here I am, back at my workplace, gradually getting less than mad as hell at no one in particular (Yellow Cab in general). Life was frustrating sometimes even when I could hear, and drive - now that I've landed myself outside of both of those option sets, my frustrations seem to be amplified, partly by my own denial - trying to act independent and competent in a driving, hearing culture.

The frustration today? I was *finally* scheduled to have my CT scan so my doc could get on with the process of diagnosing me so that maybe soon I can actually qualify for some of the assistance that I need. So it's a 20 minute cab ride from my office location, and I give "Yellow" an hour and a half lead - speaking to their dispatcher boldly and proudly through Sprint Relay. All set - 5 to 15 minutes, I'll be on the street...

Now yours truly is no stranger to taxicabs, busses, etc. - if there's one thing I'm an expert at, it's waiting on the street for same. Now I'm sure you can guess what happened (or more correctly, didn't happen). Mind you, the logic of calling Yellow back, and begging, didn't escape me, but consider my dilemma as my deadline approaches. I can't talk to them on the cell phone, I'll need Sprint again - and God help me if I go back inside to hook up, only to find my cab came while I was spending the 10 or 15 minutes it takes to get through a relay session with a taxi dispatcher (and that's if you *don't* have a problem). So I decided that my only realistic plan was to continue waiting until the last possible moment, and give up. So I waited, it was, and I did. Fortunately the folks at UC Davis (where my CT was scheduled) were the understanding sort, and they happily re-scheduled me for the 4th of January. Not bad, I can live with that.

NOW, my plan on January 4th :-) - I'm going to give Yellow a 3 hour lead, and see if they can handle that! Yeah, it sucks, and I miss work, and all that, but what is one to do when the monopoly (here in Sacramento) that is Yellow Cab can't serve me - for any price? There's probably a bus that goes (LOL) - and it's probably more reliable (this wasn't my first, nor my most costly issue with the Jolly Yellow Giant). My existential gripe today is about the daily grind - just trying to get through what should be the routine stuff of life - and my (sad looking, I suppose) refusal to wear the "disabled" label on my shirtsleeve. Ugh!

Since I'm on a grumbling roll, I might as well toss in the fact (explained in great detail, very clearly and slowly, on my home answering machine), that I can only be helped by the California Dept of Rehab if I *don't* have a job. So what I need to do now is take lots of these 5 hour excursions to 1/2 hour appointments in the middle of working days, so my employer will fire me, and then I can wave my disabled/unemployed flag and shout "no-fair! pay up!"

I hate it when I get cynical, but there it is. Ugly, but it keeps me entertained.

Thanks for "listening" ;)

LifeWrecked - Out.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Paul, Donna from SWC. You need to get a Sidekick and you can use that with Relay and it is such a size that you can put it in your pocket. You can get good deal from Harris. I have one and I use it all the time for email but I can also use it for relay. I am so sorry this happen3d to you.
I would call OVR or whatever it is called in CA and ask them to get you the sidekick or some means of communications so you can keep your job. Here in PA they supplied me with equipment so I would not lose my job and also sent me back to school when my hearing got so bad that I couldn't do the same work I had been doing.
You had a really tough day and I don't blame you one bit for being so upset. I would probably have been crying and ended up with a migraine from the stress. Good that you talked about it. I think I need a blog.
All the best.
Donna

Anonymous said...

you can also get voice carry over where you can use your voice and there is a relay person but they type whats being said to you as well. this way, you feel as though youre taking part in the conversation. or u could do as donna suggested. but get your damn ass moving on this...NOW. you'll feel alot less frustrated if you put your hearing problems in line with what u need.
from your caring friend

Anonymous said...

Thanks 2 both Donna and pearl - sometimes it takes the perspective of somebody that's been there to get me properly motivated to take care of my own biz.

FYI pearl - I'm working on getting a "CapTel" phone which I think is a lot like the solution you mention - you can talk and listen as they type everything so if you miss something, you can catch it in text. It's a struggle to get qualified (and get my employer to *buy* me one, because they're too huge to get it for free), but I've got an app in, and I'm not giving up. :)

Thanks again, U folks are the best!

Kim said...

I'm sorry you had such a bad day with the taxi and phone!! I'm just shaking my head! So frustrating! Sometimes a person just feels like screaming. :-(

Anonymous said...

Thanks KW! I'm all better now - just increases my resolve to stick up for myself. :)

Anonymous said...

I have a CapTel at home, and they're OK (depending on how good your captioner is for any given call - some of 'em in Chicago are at least highly amusing, unless you actually need the info you're calling about). But for situations like this, VCO or the Sidekick or a Blackberry are needed. Listen to Donna & Pearl, and scream, too (grin). It helps!
I hope you get that diagnosis soon, so you can get the help train to leave the station...
Happy Holidays, regardless!
Melissa