Saturday, December 27, 2008

Journal: Recovery in a Recession

Forget the whys for now; read enough of my blog and you'll come up with your own ideas - satisfactory to you, no doubt - but wrong, because there is no why: there is only IS.

16 days ago I had my last (alcoholic) drink (it was early morning, so I count myself 16 days sober today). On that day, I also began seeking treatment; jobless, homeless, without insurance.

After much searching, I landed that evening in a detox facility in Richmond, CA. This was supposed to be a 7 day stay, but I cut it short on the 3rd day, because I couldn't handle the insanity of both the staff and some of my co-residents. I also felt pretty well by that time, so back to my sister's home I went, to begin seeking my long-term treatment. Reminder: No money.

Enter Delancy Street in San Francisco - I sat on their bench, hopeful that I might qualify for their allegedly life-changing program. Unfortunately, I did not:

- No criminal arrests/convictions/jail time
- Not physically able to do construction work
(the only offer; Meniere's, weak back)

Back to my sister's, now searching more locally to her - After many phone calls (most messages un-returned) I went in person to a facility called Rubicon in Richmond. Their counselor recommends a short stay at a homeless shelter (to certify me homeless?), then I can be fast-tracked into a long-term recovery program. So be it. I'll be calling the man on Monday to get it set up.

Meanwhile, Christmas at my sister's was a blast with all my family and (sister) in-laws. I kept my status low-key, of course.

Needless to say, this blog, which seldom gets updated, will seldom get updated for awhile longer, as I won't likely have Internet access for quite awhile once I'm in shelter/program. When I do, I'm sure I'll have lots of fascinating experiences to share here. Think of me as your "reality reporter at large." Maybe I'll try to take (paper) notes as I go. That should keep me busy anyway.

No worries - I look at life right now as an experience to experience, and all roads lead up.

Yours Truly,
LifeWrecked (aka Paul S)

No comments: